How to Move a WordPress Site to a New Host
We often need to move a WordPress website to a new server or set up locally. I will usually use Wordmove and SSH to do this. But sometimes the client does not have SSH access to the server. In this case I will usually use Duplicator. Recently the client website had UpdraftPlus installed on the existing website.
- Install the free UpdraftPlus plugin on the old and new website.
- Backup your old website (db, plugins, theme, uploads, etc…) using the plugin.
- Transfer the backup files from the old site to the new site’s updraft directory
- And add the following lines in the new site’s wp-config.php file:
- Login to the new site and restore the backup files via the UpdraftPlus plugin.
- Once restored, you will need to update the new website’s database with the new url. You can either use wp-cli or install a database Search and Replace plugin.
Leave a Reply